Celebrate the Year of the Dog at Universal Studios Hollywood!
Lunar New Year is back for its third year at Universal Studios Hollywood, running daily from Saturday, February 10 to Sunday, February 25. 2018’s event will feature character meet-‘n-greet opportunities, live entertainment, and activities the whole family can enjoy.
You can find Lunar New Year inside of Universal Plaza, which has been adorned with red Chinese lanterns and stunning plum blossom trees, along with a recreation of Mr. Ping’s Noodle Shop from Kung Fu Panda.
Lunar New Year 2018 – entertainment
New for 2018 is the Jade Palace Performance Stage, which is host to two engaging guest activities:
- Dragon Warrior Kung Fu Training Show – guests of all ages will be able to participate in an interactive martial arts demonstration performed by Master Po and friends
- Feng the Palace Artist’s Stand will have Dreamworks animators demonstrating the practical techniques of drawing their favorite Kung Fu Panda characters as keepsake mementos, along with free face paint for the little ones.
Lunar New Year 2018 – food
Enjoy delicious dishes from Mr. Ping’s Noodle Shop. Mr. Ping himself will invite guests to enjoy his authentic Asian fare and a selection of hot and cold beverages.
The offerings this year include:
- Dragon Warrior Bao – $7.99 (2 BBQ pork buns served with soy sauce)
- Secret Ingredient Stir Fry Noodles (Beef: $9.99, Chicken: $9.99, Tofu: $9.99, and Shrimp $10.49)
- Oogway Egg Rolls – $4.99 (Chicken served with sweet chili sauce)
- Po’s Pot Stickers – $7.99 (Steamed pork served with spicy soy sauce)
Lunar New Year 2018 – activities
The bulk of the event is the character meet-‘n-greet opportunities. Mandarin-speaking Megatron will be making his return, along with the debut of the Minions dressed in traditional Chinese attire and Po and Tigress from Kung Fu Panda.
Universal Plaza will be adorned with customary red Chinese lanterns, along with plum red Wishing Trees for guests to write their own wishes for 2018. The 12 zodiac animal signs will be seen all around the area, with guests being able to learn which one is theirs.
Last but not least, as we published a while back, Hello Kitty will be coming to Universal Studios Hollywood for meet-and-greet opportunity! She will be available for guests to meet inside the new Animation Studio Store, which opens this spring.
Lunar New Year 2018 – merchandise
Want to take some Lunar New Year merchandise home? Universal Studios Hollywood has you covered. Available for purchase this year are shirts, mugs, tote bags, pins, and traditional red envelopes.
I wanna learn more about Lunar New Year!
We have an entire community of Universal fans discussing the event right now! When you’re done here, join us for vacation planning and more in our Facebook community.